Father Pat Griffin has shared his perspectives on Mary in Vincentian Spirituality.
He prepared for a mini-retreat for students in the Internal Seminary or Novitiate of the Eastern Province of the Congregation of the Mission
Mary – 12 page booklet – The main sections of these notes are
- Mary in the Gospel of Luke
- “To be Joyful Witnesses of Deep Faith
- “Marian Spirituality and the Vincentian Charism”
- The Miraculous Medal
- The Significance of the Word “Yes”.”
- The Virgin Mary and Formation
- “Devotion to Mary in the Company”
- “An Undivided Heart: Holy Mary, Good Mary”
- Belonging to the Church with Mary
Questions to Promote Reflection
1. Design a program to promote knowledge of Mary in your Community. What would it look like? What would be your organizing themes?
2. What connects the Marian apparitions (e.g., the Miraculous Medal) and the teaching about Mary in the Bible? What do they teach?
3. Vatican II put the instruction on Mary within the teaching on the Church (Lumen Gentium). How do you explain that reasoning?
4. What aspect of Mary is most attractive to you? Why? How can you begin to grow in appreciating her?
5. What is the place of Marian devotion in your life? In your community?
6. Mary prayed the Magnificat in her meeting with Elizabeth. What does your Psalm of Praise sound like? What brings it forth?
7. Reflect on how Mary’s total gift of herself to the Lord in the Annunciation shows us the manner in which a missionary makes this same commitment to the Lord and God’s people.
Some documents of the Church on devotion to Mary:
- Paul VI, Marialis Cultus: Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, February 2, 1974.
- John Paul II, Redemptoris Mater: Mother of the Redeemer: Encyclical Letter, March 25, 1987.
- Vatican Council II, Lumen Gentium (Dogmatic Constitution on the Church), 21 November 1964. para. 52-69.
- Delgado, Corpus, Marian Spirituality and the Vincentian Charism. Vincentiana 2002:4-5. pp. 328-351.
- Dodin, A. Le culte de Marie et l’expérience religieuse de M. Vincent de Paul. Vincentiana 1975. pp. 207-225.
- Maloney, Robert P. Five Faces of Mary. Vincentiana 1999:2. pp. 127-136)
- ———, The Spirituality of the Magnificat. FamVin.
- Martinez, B., The Virgin Mary according to St. Louise, Echoes (Sept 1983).
This post appeared originally on FamVin